What is our mission?
To open the door of literacy for adults and young adults so they may transform their lives, their families, and their communities.Gemma Open Door’s purpose is to help ensure that, in a digital age characterized by inequality in access to education, adults and young adults learn to read and enjoy reading. We adhere to UNESCO’s declaration that literacy is a fundamental human right.
Who is our audience?
- Young adults and adults with low literacy levels
- Emerging readers or reluctant readers
- Immigrants and people for whom English is not their first language
- Youths who did not graduate middle or high school
- Adult learners
- Teachers and mentors in adult literacy, youth literacy, and ESL programs
- Incarcerated adults and young adults
What do we give our readers?
- Enjoyment and fulfillment: Fresh, original and relevant stories with grown up themes build confidence and enrich lives. Hi/lo books and eBooks are between 2nd and 5th grade levels.
- Content at the reader’s level, rather than children’s books
- Sense of accomplishment: Short sentences, frequent chapter breaks, wide spacing, and vocabulary-building text help build a sense of mastery and self-esteem in under 10,000 words.
- Ability to develop reading and comprehension skills to be applied more broadly in life
- Accessibility: Multiple formats – print, audio, and digital – with reading guides for many
- SnapReads introduce content at an even lower level: 1st grade onramps!
What are some of our results?
- Nearly 50,000 copies of Gemma Open Door books have been distributed and sold.
- Literacy providers such as ProLiteracy have featured many titles.
- Public libraries in the U.S. have adopted them.
- Canadian organizations feature them.
- 50 titles are already in the series, with 6-10 planned each year for a steady flow of content.
- Titles by best-selling authors raise awareness.
GemmaMedia, established in 2008, publishes books and digital content featuring cultural memoir for young people and adults, literary fiction, and current affairs with diversity at the heart of the story. Named for the brightest star in the Northern Crown, Gemma explores the brilliance of our shared and diverse experience. In 2016, GemmaMedia established Gemma Open Door for Literacy, a nonprofit organization devoted to full literacy for all.